Range - Oven Does Not Heat, But The Burners Heat
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
If the oven is not working, but the burners do:
- Make sure that the oven controls are set correctly for either bake or broil.
- On self-clean ranges, check the oven door to make sure it is in the unlocked position.
- Check the oven knobs to make sure they are in the correct position. If the range has knobs for oven temperature and oven function, and if the control knobs were removed for cleaning, make sure they were reinstalled in the proper location.
Electric Ranges only:
- Check the bake element. Turn your range OFF and either remove the fuses or turn the breaker OFF. Then unplug the range. Carefully inspect the bake element (lower element) for cracks or breaks. If it is cracked or broken, it will need to be replaced. Purchase a GE Appliance part or accessory online.
- To view a short video on how to replace the bake element: Play Video
- Even if the bake element is not cracked or broken, service is needed. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment online.
Gas Ovens Only (Excludes Dual Fuel Ranges):
- On new gas range installations, make sure the range’s main gas regulator on the range is set in the ON position. They are all shipped with the regulator in the ON position but, if jarred or bumped during installation, it can spring back to the OFF position.
- This on/off lever on the regulator may not be apparent, so service may have to reset the lever. Burners will still work with the valve off, but the oven will not.
- To view a short video on the oven not working with a sealed burner: Play Video
- To view a short video on the oven not working with a standard burner: Play Video
- Check the oven Glo-Bar Igniter. Turn the oven to the ON position, open the oven door, and look for a red glow.
If no red glow is observed, there may be a malfunction with the glo-bar, the on/off control, or other electrical components. You will likely need service. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment online.