Over-The-Range Microwave Interior Lamp Replacement
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
Over the range microwaves have one interior light, typically visible on the upper right side of the cavity. There is not a light located on the left side of the cavity.
If the interior light needs to be replaced, consult the Owner's Manual that came with your unit for light replacement directions. If the Owner's Manual for your model does not provide instructions for lamp replacement then you will need service, as the interior lamp is not consumer replaceable. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual.
Follow the instructions below to replace the lamp in your over-the-range microwave (consumer replaceable lamps only):
- Unplug the microwave oven.
- Remove the lamp compartment cover by removing the screw that holds the cover in place. The cover is usually located at the rear of the outer case or on the side. If there is no cover, then the lamp must be replaced by a service technician.
- Remove the bulb by pushing inward gently and turning counter-clockwise.
- Replace the old bulb with a 20/25/30-watt bulb, depending on the model.
- Replace the compartment cover and plug it into the oven.
Note: On model PVM9005, the glass window is tinted, so it may appear the interior light is not on. If you open the door and the light comes on, then the microwave is functioning properly.
To schedule a service appointment to replace the interior light, contact GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule an appointment online