Refrigerator - SmartWater, SmartWater Plus, and Water by Culligan Water Filters
GE Appliances offers ice & water filtration in many new and older refrigerators. The refrigerator water filters use carbon media to reduce chlorine, odor, lead, cysts, and improve taste.
The filters are easy to replace with no special tools required; there is no need to even turn off the water.
In the past, refrigerator water filters MWFA/MWF/GWF/HWF & GSWF/MSWF have been labeled under the following names:
- SmartWater Plus™
- Water by Culligan filters
MWFA/MWF/GWF/HWF SmartWater & SmartWater Plus Filtration Systems
- Refrigerators with SmartWater Plus filtration systems use the SmartWater filter (MWF/GWF/HWF) and have a filter indicator to remind you when to replace the filter.
- Refrigerators with SmartWater filtration systems use the SmartWater filter (MWF/GWF/HWF) but do not have a filter change reminder.
- SmartWater filters have a Class 1 rating for taste, odor, chlorine and particulate reduction. The filters are manufactured in Minnesota.
- The MWF filter has been replaced by the MWFP, which is the improved, replacement version of MWF. The label on the MWFP will read "MWF".
Replacing the SmartWater Filter
- The current filter is now the MWFP.
- Purchase a GE Appliance part online- Shop GE Appliances Water Filters.
- About the GE Appliances MWFP Water Filter Cartridge
- View how to install an MWF series filter: Play Video
- SmartWater filters can be used up to 6 months or 300 gallons. Check the Owner's Manual for instructions. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual.
GSWF/MSWF SmartWater Filtration Systems
Some model refrigerators (Top Freezers w/Internal Water Dispensers & Bottom Freezers) have a cylindrical style SmartWater filter, GSWF or MSWF. This filter is not interchangeable with the MWF/GWF filter. The GSWF & MSWF are not interchangeable.
- View how to install a GSWF water filter: Play Video
- About the GE Appliances GSWF Water Filter Cartridge