Refrigerator - SmartWater and SmartWater Plus Filtration Systems
The SmartWater™ and SmartWater Plus™ Filtration Systems are used in GE Appliance refrigerators filter both ice and water. These replace the Water by Culligan filters.
- The carbon block filters (MWFA/MWF/GWF/HWF & GSWF/MSWF) reduce chlorine, odor, lead, cysts and improve taste (tested and certified by the NSF).
- The filter is easy to replace with no special tools required. No need to even turn off the water. Simply turn the filter to the left to remove. A check valve stops water flow and prevents leakage. Simply insert a new filter and turn to the right.
- This filter needs to be changed every six months. Please check Owner's Manual for instructions. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual.
- SmartWater filter (MWF/GWF/HWF) has a Class 1 rating for taste, odor, chlorine and particulate reduction. The filters are manufactured in Minnesota.
View how to install an MWF series SmartWater and SmartWater Plus water filter: Play Video
- SmartWater filter - Filters up to 6 months or 300 gallons of use (no indicator light).
- SmartWater Plus Filter - Uses the same filter but has an indicator light on the dispenser that turns green to red when the filter needs to be replaced (approximately once per year or 500 gallons of use).
NOTE: Changes were made late 2010 and the indicator light will now light up in 6 months not 1 year.
Some model refrigerators (Top Freezers w/Internal Water Dispensers & Bottom Freezers) have a cylindrical style SmartWater filter, GSWF. This filter is not interchangeable with the MWF/GWF filter. The GSWF & MSWF are not interchangeable. View how to install a GSWF water filter: Play Video
See the Owner's Manual to determine the filter number. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual
Note: 30 day limited filter warranty - Any part of the water filter cartridge which fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship during this limited thirty-day warranty.