Electric Oven Will Not Come On
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning, or turn the house circuit breaker to the off position.
If the oven on an electric range or wall oven is not coming on:
Make sure the oven controls are set correctly for either Bake or Broil.
- If the range has knobs for the oven temperature and oven function, make sure they are set properly.
- If the control knobs were removed for cleaning, make sure they were put back in the proper location.
Check the power supply.
- Check the house fuse or breaker box to be sure the breakers are ON or that the fuses are good.
- On ranges, check the power cord to make sure it is plugged fully into the wall outlet. The power cord might be unplugged or loose. On freestanding and slide-in ranges, you can access the plug by pulling out the drawer. For safety, make sure the house circuit breakers or fuses are disconnected before checking the power cord.
Reset the electronic control.
- Turn the breaker to the OFF position.
- Wait one minute, then turn the breaker back to the ON position to reset.
- This needs to be done even if the light or the clock on the range is working.
Check the door latch on self-clean ranges with a latch.
- Make sure it is on the "Unlock" position.
Check the bake element.
- Turn your range or oven OFF and turn the circuit breaker to OFF in your house breaker box. Carefully inspect the bake element (lower element) for cracks or breaks. If it is cracked or broken, it will need to be replaced.
- Purchase a GE Appliance part or accessory online.
- To view a short video on how to replace the bake element:
- Even if the bake element is not cracked or broken, service is needed. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment online.
Oven is in Sabbath Mode.
- Check your Owner's Manual in the "Special Features" section for instructions. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual
If the oven still does not work, we recommend that you schedule service by calling GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment online.