Dryer - Noises
There are normal sounds/noises associated with your dryer.
The following are normal dryer sounds:
- A squeak when the unit is started is normal; the sound should go away after the first few seconds of operation.
- The sound of the drum as it turns.
Sounds that are not normal:
- Thumping sound.
- Humming sound.
- A squeak that develops after unit has heated up, but unit does not squeak when cool.
- Squeaking that is very short and repeats every few seconds (a chirping sound).
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
If you are hearing noises or other sounds that are not normal, check the following:
- Some start-up squeak is normal; the sound should go away after the first few seconds of operation. If the sound continues, we recommend you contact service.
- Gas Dryers may produce buzz when the solenoid opens. The valve clicks at the start of the heat cycle, start of ignition and when the burner turns off. The flame makes a low roaring sound.
- Make sure dryer is level and on a secure floor, and that nothing is leaning against the dryer. For more information, see Leveling A Dryer.
- Check all exposed screws, and make sure they are tight. Loose cabinet screws may cause a squeak.
- Check for foreign objects below the lint filter:
- Remove lint filter, and look down opening.
- If you need to stick your hand down the opening to remove an object, be careful because the edges could be sharp.
- It would be advisable for you to wear a pair of work gloves.
- Foreign objects in the drum front seal and worn or loose drum slides can cause a metal scraping noise as the drum rotates. We recommend you contact service.
- Check for foreign objects in the drum like coins, paper clips, etc. Buttons and zippers will make a rattling sound as they roll around in the drum.
- A frayed or damaged belt will make a thumping sound, which would require service.
If your dryer is making unusual noises and the above suggestions do not resolve the situation, discontinue use of the dryer until it has been checked by a qualified servicer. Continued use may cause wear of other parts, making the repair more costly.
To schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliance Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment online.