Oven Temperature Is Not Correct
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
If your oven temperature does not seem to be correct, check the following:
- Make sure the oven preheated. The oven needs time to preheat before baking. Most pies, cakes, biscuits, etc., have such short cooking times that failure to preheat the oven can make a significant difference in cooking results.
- On convection ovens and ranges, most have Convection Conversion/Auto Recipe Conversion that will automatically change the set temperature 25 degrees lower for better convection cooking performance.
- Check the type of cookware that is being used. Your cookware may be having an effect on the baking results. If the pans being used are dark baking pans, be sure to reduce the oven temperature 25 degrees. These pans retain heat and at the regular baking temperatures some foods may burn or overcook.
- Make sure heat is not blocked from circulating in the oven. If aluminum foil is being used on the oven shelf, never cover the entire shelf. This will block the circulation of heat in the oven. There should always allow two inches around the back sides of the oven shelf for heat circulation.
- Check the placement of pans in the oven. Pan placement may be affecting how the oven heats. How and where the pans are placed in the oven will make a difference. Make sure that there is at least one to two inches between pans and between pans and the side and rear walls of the oven to ensure proper air/heat circulation.
- Check the rack position. Rack position can also be critical to proper baking.
- Opening the oven door frequently when cooking can increase the cooking time.
- Check the oven gasket for rips or tears. A torn gasket will need to be replaced by service.
- On electric ranges, one of the heating elements may have malfunctioned. Check to make sure they glow or heat during the cycle. If these tips do not help, service may be required.
If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Consumer Service or schedule a service appointment on-line.