Manual Defrosting Instructions for Upright Freezers
Manual Defrost model freezers must be defrosted manually. For best operation the freezer should be defrosted when the frost accumulation becomes 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Defrosting Instructions for Upright Freezers:
- Turn temperature control to OFF and unplug freezer.
- Remove all food and place in corrugated boxes, insulated bags, picnic coolers, etc. Use towels and newspapers for insulation as needed.
- Remove drain plug (on models so equipped).
- With door open, use pans of hot water to speed loosening of frost. Remove large pieces before they melt.
- A drain hose (on models so equipped) located behind the grille carries defrost water out from unit to where it can be drained in a pan. Sponge excess water from bottom of freezer as it collects to prevent overflowing.
- After defrosting, clean inside of freezer by wiping down with baking soda and water solution. Rinse and dry.
- Be sure to replace drain cap (on models so equipped). Return drain tube to its position and replace grille.
- Plug freezer in, return temperature control to normal position and return food to freezer.
Note: It is not recommended to use a garden hose to defrost.