How to Change the Filter in a SxS Refrigerator
Water Filter Cartridge Location
- On Side-by-Side refrigerators with a water filter, the water filter cartridge is usually located in the back upper right corner of the fresh food compartment.
- On Side-by-Side Built-In refrigerators, the water filter cartridge is normally located behind the upper cover at the top of the refrigerators, above the doors. Consult your owner’s manual for the specific location for your model. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual
- For information on other refrigerator types, see How to Change the Filter in a Bottom Freezer Refrigerator or Water Filter Replacement in Top Freezer Refrigerator.
When to Replace the Filter
- Some models have a replacement indicator light for the water filter cartridge on the dispenser. These indicator lights vary by model. Consult your owner’s manual for specifics for your refrigerator. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual
- When there is no filter replacement indicator light, we recommend a filter change every six months, or if the flow of water to the water dispenser or icemaker decreases, whichever comes first.
Removing the Filter Cartridge
If you are replacing the cartridge, first remove the old one by slowly turning it to the left. Do not pull down on the cartridge. You may see a small amount of water drip down.
Installing the Filter Cartridge
- View how to install an MWFP water filter: Play Video
- For more information, see: Refrigerator - How to Locate Filter Installation Instructions
- Water by Culligan filters were replaced by SmartWater filters. To use SmartWater filters in a refrigerator made before 2001 (Water by Culligan filter models) they must have an adapter to use them.
- If you are replacing an MWF or GWF SmartWater cartridge that is connected with an adapter, the adapter must be removed before installing the new cartridge.
- If you are replacing an FXRC Water by Culligan cartridge, leave the adapter in place. This adapter will stay in the refrigerator when you replace the future cartridges.
- Current water filter is MWFP. Purchase a GE Appliance part online- Shop GE Appliances Water Filters
- To remove: Turn to the left about ¼ turn.
- Models without a replacement indicator light: Apply the month/year sticker or mark cartridge with the month/year it was installed to remind you to replace the filter.
- Fill the replacement cartridge with water from the tap to allow for better flow from the dispenser.
- Slowly turn the filter to the right until it stops. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. As you turn the cartridge, it will automatically raise itself into position. The cartridge will move about ½ turn.
- Run water from the dispenser for 3 minutes (about 1 ½ gallons) to clear the system and prevent sputtering.
- Reset the indicator light (on models with this feature): Press and hold the RESET WATER FILTER pad on the dispenser for 3 seconds until the light goes off or turns green. If you do not hold the Reset pad long enough, the light will stay on or remain red. If you hold the Reset pad too long, the light will go off and then come back on. Consult your owner’s manual for specific reset instructions for your refrigerator.
- A newly installed water filter cartridge may cause water to spurt from the dispenser.
Note: We do not have a recycling program for water filters at this time.
Filter Bypass Plug:
- You must use the filter bypass plug that came with the refrigerator when a water filter cartridge is not installed. The dispenser and icemaker will not operate without the filter or filter bypass plug.