Refrigerator - Slow Water from Dispenser
If water dispenses slowly:
- New installation: Make sure the cradle has been held down 2-3 minutes to allow the reservoir to fill completely (The reservoir is in refrigerator). This does not apply to Top Mount models with a water dispenser, because there is no reservoir. Note: It takes approximately 7 seconds to fill an 8 ounce glass.
- Clogged or partially clogged filter: Can result in no water or slow running water from dispenser. Please change the filter. Filters should be changed every 6 months. Purchase a GE Appliance part online- Shop GE Appliances Water Filters
- To confirm a clogged filter, please remove the filter and install the bypass plug. Try the dispenser, if the water flow improves from the dispenser, the filter is clogged and needs to be replaced.
- If you need the bypass plug and one was not supplied with the refrigerator or has been misplaced, one can be ordered at no charge by calling 1-800-GECARES. In Canada, call 800-561-3344.
- If there is new construction in your area, there can be more sediment entering the water system. This extra sediment can clog your filters more frequently than the recommended 6 months.
Dribble as defined as a small amount of water (few drops) that may miss the glass ONLY AFTER USAGE. This is due to a delay in the overall system.
- Dribble can be minimized by the following actions:
- Purge the tank, by holding down the dispenser for 2 to 3 minutes, to remove any trapped air that may be building pressure and causing the dribble.
- A few drops is normal, but you can also prevent water from missing the glass and dripping down the cradle area by moving glass slower when removing it from the cradle.
- You may need to periodically empty the recess grill and clean out underneath it to prevent overfilling and water dripping down the front of the refrigerator.
- Also, remember the dispenser in the door will not operate unless the door is closed.
View a short video about troubleshooting water dispenser issues:
View a short video about slow water dispensing issues:
If you have a new filter or the bypass in place and this is still occurring, service may be needed. Schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.