Microwave Test to Determine if Cookware is Safe to Use

Follow the directions below to determine if a dish or utensil is microwave safe.

  1. Fill a cup with water.
  2. Place the cup in the oven on or beside the utensil in question.
  3. Microwave for one minute on high.

If the water becomes hot and the dish remains cool, the dish is microwave safe. If the dish heats up, it should not be used for microwaving.


Note: You cannot have one cup of water in the microwave with a power level of 10 for more than two minutes. If you leave it for more than 2 minutes, there is a higher risk of spontaneous boiling.


If both items fit in the oven without placing water on the utensil, the test results will be more apparent. This happens because some heat will be generated downward and the utensil may become warm. This would be a normal condition.