Dishwasher - Citric Acid Wash for Interior Cleaning and Stains
Citric acid may be used in plastic and stainless steel interior dishwashers to help clean the interior.Citric acid crystals (sometimes called Sour Salt) are available at some drug stores and most grocery stores in the canning or spice section. GE Appliance Parts also stocks Citric Acid Crystals as part number WD35X151. Purchase a GE Appliance part online.Citric acid is available in liquid or crystal form. We recommend crystals because they will remain in the detergent cup until it is time to dispense the product.The liquid form is likely to run out prior to the part of the cycle where it will do the most good.Citric acid wash:
- Fill the detergent cup with three to four ounces of citric acid crystals and close the cup.
- Run through a normal wash cycle.
- Follow up with another wash cycle with dishwasher detergent in the soap cup.
- Repeat process if the mineral build up was especially heavy and one treatment did not completely remove all minerals.
- Plain dishes can remain in the dishwasher, but patterned dishes and glasses should be removed.
- Do not place metal items in the dishwasher during a citric acid treatment to avoid tarnishing those items.