Refrigerator - Water Filter Indicator Light Will Not Shut Off
After you change the filter, the RESET WATER FILTER must be pressed and held until the red light goes off. On some models, the light goes out, and others will turn green; either is considered normal. If you do not hold the pad in, the red light will stay on. Also, if you hold the pad in for a long period of time, the light will go off and then come back on. If this does not turn the red light off, having it checked by a service technician is recommended.
If the unit is a bottom-mount refrigerator and uses the RPWFE water filter, it uses radio frequency identification (RFID) to detect leaks and monitor the filter status and will automatically reset the Replace Water Filter when a new RFID filter is installed. There is not a way to manually reset the water filter reminder. If the Replace Water Filter message will not disappear after replacing the filter, check the following:
Incorrectly installed filter or by-pass plug
- When the filter or bypass is correctly installed, the word "FRONT" will be showing. If "BACK" is showing, then reverse the filter or bypass and reinstall.
View how to adjust your water filter:
- The ID chip on the filter detects when a wrong or non-genuine GE Appliance part is used. If this happens, the dispenser will not work and the display may read "Leak Detected" or "Reset Water Filter". Check on the back of the filter for the ID chip. This will be a black square outline under the label where it says "This side must face inward".
- If there is no chip under the label, it is not a genuine RPWFE filter. Order a GE Appliance Part online
No filter or bypass is installed
- Either the RPWFE or the bypass plug must be installed for the dispenser to work.
If you need the bypass plug and one was not supplied with the refrigerator or has been misplaced, one can be ordered at no charge by calling 1-800-GECARES. In Canada, call 800-561-3344.
- If there is a leak detected, the dispenser will shut off. This would require a service call to correct.
If you have a new, genuine RPWFE filter or the bypass in place and the Reset Filter indicator still will not go away, service may be needed. For service, please schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.