Dishwasher - Using the Right Detergent and Rinse AgentUsing the correct detergent and a rinse agent will help your dishwasher provide a better wash.
Use only powder, liquid, tablet, or pod (packet) detergent designed specifically for automatic dishwashers. Any other types of soap may cause sudsing inside the dishwasher, resulting in poor wash performance and possibly suds and water on your kitchen floor.
- We recommend Finish® Quantum® Automatic Dishwashing Detergents.
View a short video about the proper detergent to use:
Keep your detergent fresh and dry.
- Store the detergent in container away from moisture to prevent lumps.
- Do not put detergent in the cup until you are ready to run a cycle.
- If powder detergent gets old or lumpy, throw it out; it will not clean effectively. Liquid, tablet, and pod detergents do not age.
Use the right amount of detergent for the job.
For more information: Dishwasher Detergent Use and Water Hardness
Benefits of rinse agent
- Improved dry performance
- Prevents film from forming on dishes
Adding Rinse Agent Correctly:
Make sure the rinse aid is loaded in the designated dispenser in the dishwasher.
- Make sure the dishwasher door is fully open.
- Open the rinse agent dispenser cover.
- Slowly add rinse agent until full. You may need to pause several times to allow rinse agent to settle.
- Clean up any spilled rinse agent with a damp towel to prevent foam from forming inside the dishwasher.
- Close the rinse agent cover.
- Adjust the rinse agent setting to the desired amount using the adjuster (clockwise to increase, counterclockwise to decrease)
- See your Owner's Manual for more information on detergent amount recommendations. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual.