Dishwasher Timer Will Not Advance
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning, or turn the house circuit breakers/fuses to the off position.
Dishwasher timer concerns can be classified into two general categories: The timer cannot be advanced manually and appears to be stuck, or the timer advances inconsistently.
The timer dial cannot be advanced manually and appears to be stuck.
- Often caused by objects that prevent the detergent cup from opening, which affects the timer operation.
- Check for items in the racks that may be blocking the detergent cup.
- Make sure the detergent cup is fully closed at the start of a cycle and fully open at the end of a cycle.
- The detergent cup should be almost fully open between the main wash and final rinse. If it is in any other position, try to open or close the cup, while at the same time rotating the timer. This should free it up.
- Can be caused by a sticky substance between the timer dial and the control panel.
- Sticky substances, like orange juice, etc. that get between the timer knob and the front of the control panel could bond the timer knob to the control panel.
- This problem can be solved by gently pulling the knob away from the control panel and cleaning behind the knob with a damp cloth. Do not use excessive force.
- If the knob cannot be pulled away from the control panel, service may be required.
Intermittent automatic timer advancement.
- If the timer can be advanced manually, but does not advance automatically in spots for 30 minutes or more, the model may have a Delay Start feature.
- Delay Start timers advance a couple of degrees every minute or so during most of the cycle; however, during certain parts of the cycle, they advance once every 30 minutes.
- This gives the dishwasher extra time to clean.
- The long pauses occur during "Delay Start", "Hot Start", "Normal Wash" and "Dry" cycles.
- If you notice delay times substantially longer than 30 minutes, contact service.
If the above suggestions do not resolve the situation, service may be needed. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliances Factory Service or schedule a service appointment online.