If odor is coming from the compactor check the following:
- Compacting food waste - food waste should not be put into the compactor. It is designed to be a trash compactor. Food waste should be deposited into a disposer or trash can.
- Not using deodorant or spray can may be empty. Check spray can (on some models). Replace if empty.
- Deodorant spray dispenser (on some models) not working - operate unit through one compaction cycle. Check and see if deodorant was dispensed. If not, call GE Appliance service.
To clean a compactor that has developed odors:
- Remove trash container from unit. Wash the ram and cabinet interior with normal household cleaners.
- Remove the locking ring and handle from trash container and wash the ring and container using the same cleaners.
- Dry the bucket thoroughly before inserting new bag.
Caution: Always check for glass fragments before cleaning.
For service, please schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.