Microwave Benefit of Power Levels
The power levels give you greater flexibility and allows you to fine tune or adapt your recipes.To change the Power Level (on most models):
- Touch TIME COOK.
- Enter the desired minutes.
- Touch POWER LEVEL.
- Enter the desired Power Level.
- Press START to start the cooking process.
You can also change power levels during cooking but you cannot change them during "automatic functions."
Power levels are most commonly used in recipes to prevent overcooking. Fats and sugars heat very quickly (for example, cheese toppings or brown sugar glaze). Using a lower power level or adding toppings halfway through the cooking time will avoid overcooking of these items.The time it takes to cook food in microwaves depends upon the volume of the food, its size, shape, density and starting temperature as well as the wattage of the microwave.These are general guidelines to help in cooking:
- High (100) percent power is best for browning, boiling liquids, cooking or heating fish, ground meats, bacon, and zapping food.
- Medium-high (70) percent for roasting meats and poultry, baking casseroles and convenience foods, sauté and re-heating food.
- Medium (50) percent power for slow-cooking and braise food.
- Low (30) percent power for defrosting, simmering, delicate sauces.
- Warm (10) percent power for heating breads, keeping food warm for a short period of time, soften butter, cheese and chocolate.
Microwave ovens vary in the number of power levels available, depending upon the model. Each level serves a definite purpose and should be used as recommended. Power levels are a percentage of "on time", or the magnetron tube cycles on and off to obtain the various levels. Below are list of percentages that are found on GE microwaves.
|Most GE models|
|High Power||100% on time|
|level 9||90% on time|
|level 8||80% on time|
|level 7||70% on time|
|level 6||60% on time|
|level 5||50% on time|
|level 4||40% on time|
|level 3||30% defrost|
|level 2||20% defrost|
|level 1||10% warm|
|Models with 5 power levels|
|High power||100% on time|
|Medium high power||70% on time|
|Medium power||50% on time|
|Low power||30% on time|
|Warm power||10% on time|