Microwave Whole Turkey Preparation
Follow the below instructions to cook a whole turkey in the microwave:
- Pat the turkey dry then brush it with oil or 1 tablespoon of a browning agent and 4 tablespoons of butter. Shield breast and legs with foil if desired.
- Place the turkey in the casserole dish, cover it with wax paper or use a cooking bag.
- Add 1/2 cup of liquid (water, broth or wine) to the dish or in the cooking bag. Cut small vents on top of the cooking bag or vent wax paper.
Cook in one of three ways:
- Time cook: 70% power level, approximately 10 minutes per pound
- Temperature cook: Insert a probe in a meaty part of thigh, on medium power level, 190 degree.
- Time/Temp: Cook at recommended minutes per pound, on medium power level for the first half of time. Insert probe and set Temp cook for 190 degree .
- Auto roast: On ovens only with this feature
Note: A turkey with a pop-up timer may be cooked in the microwave. Make sure that the turkey will fit properly in the microwave without touching the sides or top.