Microwave Double Duty Shelf
The double duty shelf allows you to cook several foods at once, and increases the oven's cubic foot capacity. Shelf cooking requires more care than regular cooking; we recommend following the following tips:
- Arrange the food as indicated in the Owner's Manual.
- Choose the right size cooking utensil for best results.
- Cover the food when appropriate, following the cookbook recommendations.
- Choose food that has the approximate same cooking time and power levels.
- Do not operate the microwave oven with the shelf in place unless there is food in the oven.
- Do not use a browning dish on the shelf. The heat from the dish could damage the shelf
For model specific information see the Owner's Manual. Download a copy of an Owner's Manual.
The double-duty shelf should be removed when cooking single items where the shelf is not being used. The shelf could reflect the microwave energy away from the food being cooked, causing longer cooking time if it is not removed. This shelf is "reversible" because there is not a front or back. It can be placed into the microwave either way and will fit.
Note: The metal shelves in our microwaves present no danger of arcing if they are properly inserted. The shelf should fit snugly in place, be level, and should not touch the back wall of the oven.
Caution: If arcing occurs when using the shelf to cook more than one type of food at the same time, turn the oven off. Make sure that the shelf is positioned right side up on all of the four shelf supports and are not touching oven walls. Only the double-duty shelf should be used, as the rung spacing is specially designed to allow passage of the microwaves.