How to Get the Best Wash Performance from Your Dishwasher
There are four important factors for good wash performance in all areas of your dishwasher:
- Loading the dishes
- Water temperature
- Rinse Aids
- Top Rack - The top rack is for glasses, cups and saucers.
- Cups and glasses fit best along the sides.
- This is also a good place for dishwasher-safe plastics and all kinds of odd-shaped utensils.
- All items should be placed facing down towards the spray arm.
- Do not block wash system parts including spray arms and towers located in the lower and/or upper racks.
- Bottom Rack -Large items such as broiler pans and cookie sheets should go along the sides.
- Load platters, pots and bowls along the sides, in corners, or in the back, and at an angle so that water can come up, in and around them.
- On most models, a wash tower rises through the center of the bottom rack during the cycle. Do not block the circular opening through which this tower rises.
- Some models have a mid-level spray arm - it is important not to block this arm. Spin the spray arm before each load to make sure it is free to rotate.
- View a short video about proper loading:
- The entering water must be at least 120 degrees Fahrenheit and not more than 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The water temperature can be checked with a candy or meat thermometer by turning on the faucet nearest the dishwasher. Place the thermometer in a glass and let the water run into the glass until the temperature stops rising.
- Let the water run in the sink until it gets hot before you start the dishwasher.
- It is important to keep your detergent fresh and dry.
- Discard detergent if it gets old or lumpy because old detergent may not dissolve and can leave a gritty residue.
- Store the detergent in a closed container.
- Do not put detergent into the dispenser until you're ready to wash dishes. It might not stay fresh or dry.
- View a short video about the proper detergent to use:
- Rinse Aids allow water to sheet off glass and dinnerware which prevents spotting and improves overall drying performance.
- View a short video about checking and filling the rinse aid dispenser:
For more information about getting the best performance from your dishwasher, consult your Owner's Manual. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual.