Water Softener - Not Softening the Water
If your softener is not softening your water, check the following:
There Is No Power In The Unit
- Check the display. It should show the time of the day and should not be flashing.
- Check to see that the 24 volt power transformer is plugged into wall outlet. If the power cord has not been installed, follow the directions in the Installation Instructions, or call your installer. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual and/or Installation Instructions
Check The House Fuse/Circuit Breaker
- Make sure that the wall outlet is operating. Plug a lamp into the wall socket and see if it works. If it is not working, check to see if a wall switch operates the outlet. If so, the switch must be in the "on position" at all times. Once the power is restored, set-up the control for the operation.
Check Your Salt Level
- Lift the lid and make sure that the salt level is 1/4 full. It is recommended though to have it 3/4 full. If there is no salt, fill it with salt and initiate the regeneration cycle. Locate the touch-hold pad and press until " recharge now" flashes in display.
- Allow a day or so for soft water to flush through water heater.
Check for a Salt Bridge
- Sometimes a hard crust or salt bridge forms in the salt storage area, and underneath it is a mixture of salt water and empty space. When this happens, the salt will not dissolve in the water to make brine.
- To check for a salt bridge: Take a broom handle or something similar and carefully push it down into the salt. If the broom handle hits something hard (and it is not the floor or sides), you have a salt bridge.
- To remove: Carefully break the bridge with the broom handle. Avoid pounding or damaging the inside walls of the unit. If the salt bridge is difficult to break up, pour 1 gallon of warm (not hot) water into the tank to help dissolve the bridge.
The Unit Is Plumbed Incorrectly
- From the front of the softener, the hard water comes into the unit on the right side and the soft water out on the left. The pipe on the left should go to the hot water heater. The pipe on the right comes from the main water line coming into the home. See the Installation Instructions that accompanied the unit for correct plumbing. If the plumbing is incorrect contact your installer. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual and/or Installation Instructions
Check The Bypass Valve Behind The Control Panel
- It has a knob that says "push for bypass." For proper operation, the knob needs to be in an "out" position.Alow a day or so for soft water to flush through water heater.
Nozzle And Venturi Dirty, Incorrectly Assembled Or Damaged
- Clean the nozzle and venturi assembly (see Owner's Manual for instructions). With water pressure to the water softening system off, take the nozzle assembly apart. Inspect, clean, and replace as needed. Any foreign particle(s), scratches, nicks, etc. in the passages can prevent operation. Be sure holes in the gasket are centered over holes in the housing. Download a copy of the Owner's Manual and/or Installation Instructions
Valve Drain Hose Pinched, Plugged, Elevated Too High Otherwise Restricted
- Any restriction in the drain hose may prevent proper operation of the nozzle and venturi and reduce or prevent brine draw during recharge.