General List of Minimum Clearance Requirements
For proper air circulation and correct installation, some appliances must have air clearances around the product. Installations can vary, so checking the installation instructions to determine space requirements for your specific model is recommended.
The following are the minimum clearances required by product lines, in general:
- 3 inches of clearance on all sides.
- 3 inch of clearance at the back.
Upright Freezers (less than 9 cubic feet):
- 4 inches of clearance on top.
- 4 inches of clearance at the back.
- 1/2 inch of clearance on each side.
Upright Freezers (9 cubic feet and larger):
- 3 inches of clearance on top.
- 3 inches of clearance at the back.
- 3 inches of clearance on each side.
- ¾ to 1 inch of clearance on each side.
- 1 inch on the top (this is above the case).
- 1 inch in the back.
Dryers (In an Alcove or Closet installation):
- 0 inches on side.
- 4 inches front and rear (allows adequate space for venting).
- 52 inch minimum space from floor to ceiling or overhead cabinets.
- 3 inches on each side.
- 3 inches on the top.
- 1 inch in the rear.
Note: In cabinet installation for countertop microwaves is not recommended without the use of a built in kit. Built in kits will be listed for specific models in their specifications. If a built in kit is not available, the above air clearances are necessary.Note: If the microwave is located near a range, 2 feet of clearance on the side adjacent to the range will be necessary. Microwaves cannot be mounted over a range unless they are specifically made to be an over-the-range model, with a vent included.
Hanging Microwaves (mounted under a cabinet, not over the range):
- 2 inches on each side.
- 2 inches underneath.
Over the Range Microwaves and Advantiums:
- Over the range microwaves require a minimum 66" mounting height from floor to top of the micro. The 66" from the floor dimension will allow approximately 13"-16" between the cooktop and the bottom front of the microwave.
- All current over the range microwaves can be installed over gas cooking products up to and including 5 burner stoves. As long as the 66" minimum from the floor to the top of the microwave is followed there will be no performance or warranty problem. This includes Advantium ovens and convection microwaves.
- Electric ranges require 0" side wall spacing above counter height, but up to 6" is recommended to avoid possible heat damage. Please review specific model installation instructions for required dimensions.
- Gas ranges require 1"- 6"side wall spacing above the counter height for proper combustion. Please review specific model installation instructions for required dimensions.
- 30 inches between the cooktop and bottom of the cabinet above.
- 0 inches for sides below the cooktop.