Compactors are for household use only.
- Household trash, including paper, cans, glass jars and bottles, plastic containers, wrappings, sweepings.
- Some food waste.
DO NOT compact:
- Food waste such as raw meat and fish, grapefruit rinds.
- Personal hygiene items and disposable diapers. These items create very strong odors and should not go into your compactor.
- Shotgun shells, cartridges for firearms, fireworks, etc., which are highly explosive.
- Flammable materials such as paint, oil-saturated rags, engine starting fluid cans, paint thinner cans, gasoline, etc. Spontaneous combustion or explosive vapor concentrations could occur.
- Containers of toxic chemicals such as strong insecticides or other poisonous materials. Compaction could release hazardous fumes.
- Aerosol cans containing explosive or highly toxic chemicals. If you are sure the aerosol cans contain non-hazardous materials such as shaving cream, cheese spread and whipped cream they may be compacted.
- Lit cigarettes, cigars, or other hot or burning items.
Other precautions to take:
- Do not store or use gasoline or other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of the compactor or any other appliance.
- Do not push trash into the drawer with your hands or feet. The trash may contain broken glass, sharp pieces or metal, or other sharp objects that could cause injury. Also use caution when removing the bag.
- Do not overload the compactor.