Microwave - Cookware Damage

Cookware Breaking:


If a microwave safe dish breaks during normal use in a microwave the problem is most likely a "hairline crack" invisible to the eye, or a chip or visible crack. Liquid can seep into the damaged area and attract microwaves. The resulting heat and steam can create enough pressure to shatter the dish. There is no cause for concern if a dish has broken in this manner. Service should not be necessary.


Cookware Melting:


If plastic cookware that is not approved for microwave use is used, there is the possibility of it melting or pitting. This is caused by the food in the container, not the microwaves. This is especially true of foods containing grease or sugar since these two items attract microwaves, becoming very hot.


NOTE: If the plastic should adhere to the bottom of the microwave, just use a sharp object and scrape it off - the bottom is glass so it can't be damaged if care is taken when scrapping off the plastic.


To remove plastic from rack on the microwave/convection models:

  • If plastic is thick, let cool and peel off rack.
  • If plastic is a thin coating, then it is best to heat the oven (convection mode) to loosen the plastic and scrape off of rack while warm (turn hood vent on to remove melting plastic odor).