Microwave - Blanching Vegetables
Blanching is a procedure used to prepare vegetables for freezing. General directions for all vegetables are:
- Wash, peel, slice or dice vegetables.
- Measure 1 quart or 1 pound of vegetables into recommended size casserole dish (see chart on next page for sizes).
- Add water (see chart on next page). Do not add salt. Cover.
- Set power on high and microwave for 1/2 the time, then stir. Recover the dish and microwave for the second half. Stir again.
- Drain and submerge vegetables immediately in ice water.
- Blot excess moisture from vegetables with paper towels and pack in freezer containers.
The chart below gives directions on most common vegetables. If the consumer has one not listed follow directions for the vegetables most like it in size and texture. All times given are for high power level. Use minimum time for 600-700 watt ovens, maximum times for 500 watt or less.
|asparagus||1 lb cut in 1-2" pieces||2 quarts||1/4 cup||3 to 4 mins|
|beans||1 lb||1-1/2 quarts||1/2 cup||4 to 6 mins|
|broccoli||1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs||2 quarts||1/2 cup||4 to 5 1/2 mins|
|cauliflower||1 head cut in flowerets||2 quarts||1/2 cup||4 to 5-1/2 mins|
|carrots||1 lb sliced||1-1/2 quart||1/4 cup||4 to 6 mins|
|corn on cob||cut corn from 4 ears||1 quart||1/4 cup||4 to 5 mins|
|onions||4 medium-quartered||1 quart||1/2 cup||3 to 4-1/2 mins|
|parsnips||1 lb cubed||1-1/2 quart||1/4 cup||2 to 1/2 - 4 mins|
|peas||2 lbs shelled||1 quart||1/4 cup||3-1/2 to 5 mins|
|spinach||1 lb washed||2 quart||none||2-1/2 to 3-1/2 mins|
|squash||1 lb cubed or sliced||1-1/2 quart||1/4 cup||3 to 4-1/2 mins|
|turnips||1 lb cubed||1-1/2 quart||1/4 cup||3 to 4-1/2 mins|
|zucchini||1 lb sliced or cubed||1-1/2 quart||1/4 cup||3 to 4-1/2 mins|