Top Load Washer Will Not Drain
If your top-load washer is not draining, check the following:
Water sloshing sound:If no water is visible in the basket but you hear a "sloshing water" sound, this is likely the washer's balance ring. The balance ring is an enclosed plastic container partially filled with a saltwater (brine) solution that is attached to the inner clothes basket. It allows the basket to spin smoothly during an out-of-balance situation.
Pauses:If your washer is not draining, wait a few minutes. For many models, it is normal to have pauses between cycles of up to 3 minutes. If you have a dial, do not manually advance the timer if it is pausing after agitation, as you may miss the pump-out cycle.
Lid is up:Make sure the washer lid is down if it is a 1994 or older model. Since the washer spins and drains at the same time, the lid must be down for it to operate.
Drain hose or Plumbing:
- Make sure the drain hose is not kinked or clogged.
- Make sure the washer is not trying to drain more than 8 ft. higher than the floor.The maximum height most GE full size washers will pump is 8 feet from the floor; 5 feet for a compact or portable washers. Check your Installation Instructions for more details about drain height.
- The drain hose goes into a standpipe, drain or other household plumbing .Remove the drain hose and pour a quart of water into the standpipe or drain.If water will not drain, a plumber is recommended.
RINSE light is flashing or "Po" is scrolling on the display (2015 and newer models):The washer took to long to pump out. There may be a clog.
- Press Start to resume the cycle, or you can select Drain & Spin and press Start. If the washer drains properly, then the clog has likely cleared.
- If water remains in the washer, check for a pinched or flattened drain hose. You may even need to disconnect power to the washer and remove the drain hose from the back of the machine and the plumbing, to see if there is a clog inside the drain hose.
- If you clear a clog, press START to resume your cycle, or you can select Drain & Spin and press Start.
- If the water drains, then the clog is clear. If problems persist, service will be required.
Tub full of water and just hums:Schedule service with GE Appliances Factory Service.
If these suggestions do not help the situation, please schedule a service appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.