Top Load Washer - Lid Lock Feature
Starting in 2015, top-load washers feature a lid lock that engages when the washer is either load-sensing before and during fill, or when it is spinning above 50 RPM. You cannot set the washer to lock for the entire cycle.
- Models with Precise Fill (load sensing) will lock during the load sensing period and during the spin cycle.
- Models without Precise Fill only lock during the spin cycle.
To unlock the lid:
- Pausing the machine will allow you to open the lid.
- During the spin cycle, pausing the washer does unlock the lid, but you must wait until the basket has completely coasted down to a stop before the lid unlocks, for safety reasons. Depending upon the speed at which the washer was spinning, when it is paused (and depending on the size of the load being washed), it could take as much as 3 minutes to coast to a stop and then unlock.
If the lid will not unlock:
- Make sure the washer is paused (press Start/Pause). During spin, this can take up to 3 minutes for the basket to stop spinning and allow you to open the lid.
- Unplug the washer for a minute to reset.
If this doesn't help, service may be required. For service, please schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.