Opal Ice Maker - Normal Sounds
The Opal is a complex device that combines electrical and mechanical components like a compressor, a pump, motors, and fans to deliver perfect nugget ice. These components power on at different times during the ice making cycle. Most noises cease after 20-30 minutes of the unit running.
The Opal Ice Maker may make sounds that are not familiar. Most of these sounds are normal. Hard surfaces like the floor, walls, and countertops can amplify these sounds. The following describes the sounds that may be new to you and what may be creating them.
- WHIR - When Opal is first turned on, you may notice the condenser fan spinning.
- BUZZ - When the water pump first turns on, it may be dry and slightly noisy. Once it is filled with water, the noise reduces significantly.
- RATTLE - Rattling noise may be produced from the flow of the refrigerant. These noises should reduce significantly once the refrigerant system has stabilized.
- GURGLE - When the refrigerant system shuts off, there may be a brief gurgle as the refrigerant stops flowing.
- HUM - The compressor is a motor. It produces a low toned humming sound while it is running.
- CHUGGING - When the unit first starts up, the gear motor can make a chugging noise. This noise should be considerably reduced after 15 to 20 minutes, once THE Opal starts making ice.
- CLICK - As nugget ice is produced, it drops into the ice drawer. The first nuggets produced are the loudest, as they impact the bottom of the ice bin. As the bin fills, this noise reduces significantly.
- SQUEAK - When Opal is in need of defrosting, it may start to squeak as ice starts to build up around the mechanisms. The defrost cycle is automatic and may take 30-45 minutes. During this time, the front button won’t respond.
- PUMPING WATER - At the start of ice making, Opal will flush the system with water for approximately 5 minutes. You may see or hear water running during this process. This is normal. If your Opal seems loud during this process it, may need more water.
- If the unit is making a continuous grinding noise, contact Opal Support at myopalservice.com or call 866-907-6718, M-F 8-8 EST.