Washers and Dryers - ADA/ANSI and UFAS Requirements
GE Appliances tests products for ADA and UFAS compliance using these 5 requirements: Forward Reach, Forward Approach, Side Reach, Control Operation, Location of Controls. ADA Appliance Requirements
For washers and dryers, ADA/ANSI and UFAS requirements are the same; however, local codes may have additional or different standards based on the location. GE Appliances cannot account for all local codes.
To be considered ADA or UFAS compliant, a GE Appliances laundry unit must meet the following requirements:
- Washing machines and clothes dryers shall be front loading.
- Maximum high forward reach for controls and operating mechanisms is 48"; maximum low forward reach is 15".
- Note: ADA compliant stackable dryers are ADA compliant when installed on the floor. They are not ADA compliant when mounted on pedestals or stacked because it puts the controls above 48” height from ground.
- Operable parts shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist. The force required to activate operable parts shall be 5 lbs.
- Front loading machines shall have the bottom of the opening to the laundry compartment located 15" minimum and 36" maximum from the floor
Note: If a front loading washer or dryer opening is less than 15" from the floor, a wood platform can be built for ADA compliance (Ex. washer model WCVH4800K, GFW148; Dryer mode DCVH480, GFT14, GFD14). See below or review: Platform Requirements
- The platform must raise the appliance at least 3", but not more than 7".
- A hardwood fascia board that is 1" thick is required on any open side of the platform. The fascia board must have a lip height of 1" above the top to allow the consumer to open the front clean-out panel. Each fascia board must be attached with minimum of six 1/4" - 20 x 4" bolts with fender washers and locknuts on the backside.
- The suggested maximum distance between lateral supports is 10".
- Plywood top must be 3/4" thick.
- The platform length can be dimensioned to fit one or multiple front loading compact laundry units.
- The platform must be firmly secured, at least at two points, to an adjacent wall.
- Place the front loading compact laundry unit(s) on the completed platform.
- The front of any front loading compact laundry unit must be less than 10" from the front of the platform including the fascia board.
- Follow the Installation Instructions shipped with your washer and/or dryer to complete the installation.