Refrigerator Normal Ice Production
Icemakers produce crescent shaped cubes approx 2 1/2" long x 3/4" high x 3/4" thick. The following ice production and capacity is under normal conditions:
GE, GE Profile Series, GE Cafe Series SxS
- Will make approximately 4.5 lbs or 130 cubes per day.
- Bucket will hold approx 8 lbs of ice.
- Arctica Ice buckets hold 10 lbs of ice.
- Ice production can be increased by decreasing the freezer temperature to -2F.
GE and GE Profile Top Mount No Frost
- Will make approximately 3.5 lbs or 100 cubes per day.
Bottom Freezer/French Door
GE, GE Profile Series, GE Cafe Series French Door Bottom Mount No Frost (Icemaker in FF section)
- Most models will make approximately 3.9 lbs per day. This is also the amount of ice the bin holds.
- 26 cu ft models will make 3.5 lbs per day.
GE, GE Profile Series and GE Cafe Series Bottom Mount No Frost (Icemaker in FF door)
- Will make approximately 3.6 lbs per day.
- The ice bin holds 3.8 lbs.
GE, GE Profile Series and GE Cafe Series Bottom Mount No Frost (Icemaker in FZ section)
- 21/25 cu ft models will make approximately 3 lbs or 85-90 cubes per day. This is also the amount of ice the bin holds.
- 20/22/23/25/26/28 cu ft models will make approximately 4.5 lbs or 130 cubes per day. This is also the amount of ice the bin holds.
GE, GE Profile Series and GE Cafe Series Bottom Mount No Frost (Dual Icemaker)
- Will make approximately 3.6 lbs per day in the Fresh Food section. The ice the bin holds 3.8lbs.
- Will make approximately 2.6 lbs per day in the Freezer. (Note: Applies to IM5D also)
- Holds over 11 pounds of ice altogether.
Quick Ice: For models with the Quick Ice feature, ice production can be increased by nearly 48% to about 6.2 lbs per day. Activating the Quick Ice feature causes a fan to turn on and blow continuous cold air over the icemaker creating a faster cycle time. Note: Crescent cube icemakers fill 4 ounces per cycle.
Ice production is dependent on freezer temperatures, which are affected by the temperature control settings (setting should be 5 and 5 on models with knobs, 0 and 37 for models with electronic controls and 26 cu ft bottom mount settings are –2 and 38), door openings, and food load.
More food in the freezer will keep, the temperatures more stable which will help the icemaker perform more efficiently. The frozen packages act as insulators to keep the cold air in. We recommend that the freezer be kept three-fourths full for optimal operation. If necessary, use plastic jugs filled two-thirds with water to increase the freezer load to three-fourths of its volume.
On a new installation, the icemaker will not start immediately after being plugged in, since the icemaker must reach a temperature of approximately 15 degrees F. before a cycle is initiated. Please allow up to 24 hours for the icemaker to begin cycling. See also New Icemaker Not Producing Ice.