Top Load Washer - No Fill
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the washer from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning. Turn the house circuit breakers/fuses to the off position.
If your top-load washer will not start filling:
- Check the house fuse/circuit breaker box and the washer plug. The washer should be on a separate outlet.
- Is water turned on to the washer? Make sure the hot and cold water valves are fully open. GE and Hotpoint washers will not run until filled to the level selected.
- Some electronic control models will time out if the washer takes longer than 20 to 40 minutes to fill. This could be caused by low water pressure or clogged screens. Check the water valve screens on your water inlet hoses. For more information, see Washer - Screens in Hot & Cold Water Inlets / Connections.
- On mechanical models, be sure the timer knob is pulled out completely and set to the beginning of the cycle. It may be necessary to advance the timer slightly and pull the knob out again, in case the start of the cycle varies a little from the graphic on the control panel.
- The washer cycle could have been stopped or paused by accident. Make sure the Start/Stop or Pause button was not pushed, or that the timer knob was not pushed in.
- If the washer was stored where temperatures are below freezing, water in the pump can freeze and lock the motor. Allow time for thawing and it should start.
- If the Fill light is flashing or H2O SUPPLY is scrolling on the display (2015 and newer models): the washer will initiate a 3 minute lock-out period.
The washer controls won't respond or change during this time. After 3 minutes, you can choose your settings and press Start. Unplugging the washer will start the 3 minute lock-out period again.
- If CAnCELEd ("canceled") is scrolling across the control panel or the two furthest lights are flashing on the control panel (2015 and newer models): This indicates that an error has occurred. Select Drain & Spin and press Start, this will attempt to clear the error. If problems persist, disconnect power to the washer for 1 minute, reconnect and retry by either re-starting your previous wash cycle settings and press Start or select Drain & Spin and press Start.
If the above suggestions do not resolve the issue, service may be needed. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Appliance Service, at 1-800-432-2737, or schedule an appointment online.