Microwave Odors

For "newness" odors in a microwave:

  • First-time usage of a microwave may produce some smoke. This is typically a very small amount and is perfectly normal.
  • An electrical odor in new machines can be normal because the electronic board is "curing" as the circuit board material is heated for first few uses.
  • On microwave/convection models:
    • Dust particles can accumulate on the convection element and burn off when in use producing a small amount of smoke. Once dust has been burned off, the smoke will dissipate.
    • A strong burning, oily smell is normal when using Convection BAKE, Convection ROAST or Combination Fast Cook for the first few times. The smell comes from the new convection heater and will go away with regular use. If this smell does not dissipate after multiple uses, service is recommended.

For service, please schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.

For burned food odors:

  • Clean up spatters and spills as they occur.
  • We recommend washing the interior with baking soda, or a non-abrasive detergent, and letting it dry. We recommend leaving the door open for 2-3 hours when the microwave is not in use to let the microwave "air out." Some extreme odors like fish or burned popcorn may take several days to wear away.
  • If the smell or odor persists, we recommend you try one of the following: Mix 6 tablespoons of baking soda and one cup of water or mix a solution of 1/2 cup lemon juice and one cup of water. Place either solution in a microwave safe dish of appropriate size and heat for 2 to 3 minutes on high power.