Gas Range and Cooktop - Cleaning Grates and Burner Caps
To clean burner caps and enamel on steel or cast iron grates:
- Grates should be washed regularly in hot soapy water, rinsed in clean water, and dried before placing them back on range.
- Grates and caps can be cleaned in dishwasher as long as they are enamel coated on the bottom.
- For burned-on soil:
- Soak grates and caps in a slightly diluted solution of liquid cleanser and scour with a non-metallic soap filled pad.
- Place the grates and caps in a sealed bag or covered container with 1/4 cup of ammonia. Let sit 3 hrs up to overnight to loosen soil. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft, clean cloth.
- Some models have grates that can be cleaned in a self-cleaning oven. See Owner's Manual for specific cleaning instructions for model.
- If self-cleaning instructions are not mentioned in Owner's Manual, the grates should not be cleaned in a self-cleaning oven.
- If the grates do not have rubber bumpers (pads) on their bottom surface, they may be cleaned in the oven using the self-clean cycle. When cleaning in the oven, the grates must be placed on the oven rack/s, not on the oven floor. See Gas Range Self-clean Grates.
- The CeramaBryte® Gas Grate Kit can also be used to clean baked on deposits and revitalize gas grates and burner caps. To use:
- Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.
- Mix cleaning powder with water until dissolved.
- Gently place gas grates and burner caps in the solution and allow to soak several hours or overnight.
- Use the brass bristle brush to remove debris from corners and tight angles.
- CeramaBryte® cleaning pads can be used to clean surfaces as well.
- When clean, simply rinse, dry and return grates and caps to your cooktop.
To prevent rusting of cast iron grates, apply a light coating of cooking oil to the bottom of the grate.
If burner caps are discoloring or blackening after each use, a flame adjustment may be needed. Too much air mix can cause soot and a yellow flame. We recommend that you contact your gas supplier, or call for service. For service, please schedule an appointment with GE Appliances Factory Service.. See also Gas Range Yellow Flames or Soot on Top Burners.