Smart Microwave - Set Up Built-In WiFi
Our Smart Microwaves
have built-in WiFi, allowing it to communicate with the SmartHQ™ app for alerts, controls, and notifications. Using the SmartHQ app, you can monitor your microwave timer from outside your kitchen, scan-to-cook your favorite microwave meals, and use voice activation with Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant.
For more information about what your Smart Microwave can do, visit Smart Microwaves - Benefits of the SmartHQ App
To Set Up Your Microwave
Step 1: Download the SmartHQ App
The SmartHQ app can be used on Apple or Android smart phones, and is available to download for free from the Apple App Store
or Google Play
. Once downloaded, open the SmartHQ app on your smart phone and sign in or create a WiFi Account.
- If you already have a WiFi Account, select "Sign In." This takes you to the Welcome screen.
- If you do not have a WiFi Account, select "Create Account." After you fill out the required information, you will receive an email to verify the account. Do not skip this step. Once the account has been verified, you will be able to use the email and password you created to sign into the SmartHQ app.
Step 2: Connect Your Microwave
Open the SmartHQ app and sign in. On the Home screen, press the Plus sign (+) to view the "Add An Appliance" screen. Choose "Microwave" to get to the Welcome screen. Press OK.
- On your microwave control panel, press and hold the "WiFi" pad for 3 seconds until the WiFi logo flashes on the panel. Press Next in the SmartHQ app.
- In the SmartHQ app, type in the password found on the Connected label on the front frame of the microwave. It is visible when the door is opened, and is next to the model and serial tag.
- You will be directed to go to your phone's WiFi settings and join the GEA network listed on the microwave display. If you do not know how to get to the WiFi settings, press "Show Me How" on the SmartHQ app.
- On Android phones, you may see "Disable Smart Network Switch" in the instructions on the App. Press "Show Me How" for instructions on disabling this feature. This option may vary by phone; look for other options like: Auto Network Switch, Check for Internet Service, or Avoid Poor Networks.
- This will start communication between the SmartHQ app and the appliance.
- If successful, the "Choose home network" screen will appear. Find your home WiFi network and enter your password to connect the device back to your home network.
- If you do not see your home network on the list of WiFi networks, choose the "Other" option and enter your network name yourself.
- The Connecting process will start.
- The appliance is connected once the SmartHQ app says "Connected!"
Step 3: Set Up Voice Control Using the SmartHQ Skill in Alexa.
- First, ensure your microwave is Connected to your home network. For assistance, go to geappliances.com/ConnectHelp.
- Open the Alexa App.
- Go to Skills & Games and search for "SmartHQ"
- Click on SmartHQ and click the ENABLE button.
- Enter your WiFi Account username and password and hit "sign in."
- Say "Discover Devices" to your Alexa device to link your account to Alexa.
Get Help Connecting to WiFi
If you have difficulty connecting your microwave, try our troubleshooting tips at Smart Microwaves - Built-In WiFi Set Up Troubleshooting
For further assistance, call the Connected Home Support Line at 1-800-220-6899, Monday - Friday 9am - 11pm ET, Saturday - Sunday 9am - 3pm ET, or email [email protected]