Opal Ice Maker - Cleaning and Descaling (Models with a Round Button on the Front)Keeping the Opal ice maker and side tank accessory clean ensures you have plenty of fresh tasting ice. The Opal ice maker will indicate when it is time to clean the unit using the display ring around the round button on the front. When the display ring is solid yellow, it is ready to be cleaned.
- Turn off and unplug the Opal, then let it set for 1 hour before cleaning.
- If you are using the filter, remove it and reinstall the reservoir screen. Water will not circulate during the cleaning cycle if these two steps are not completed.
- If there is a large buildup of minerals, take a pen and see if you can dislodge any hard mineral build up that might be stuck at the top of the ice chute.
- Hard water residue may not always be visible but will impede ice production.
- Drain the Opal of any water through the drain tubes.
Cleaning / Sanitizing the Opal:Recommended weekly
- Unplug the Opal.
- Remove the water filter (if present) and replace with the reservoir's screened intake cap.
- Drain the Opal. (*See Steps 10 through 13*).
- Plug in the Opal and slide the rear switch to the "Clean" position.
- The display ring will light up yellow and pulse.
- Create a solution of five cups of water and one teaspoon of household bleach. NOTE: Do not use soap to clean the water reservoir.
- Pour the solution into the water reservoir.
- Touch the display button to start the cleaning process. The yellow light will start to spin and you will hear water circulating. After three minutes the water will stop and the light will begin to pulse again.
- When the light pulses, drain the Opal, *as follows*.
- *Unhook the top of the drain hoses at the back of the unit*.
- *Then, lay them down to drain into a sink or bucket that is below the level of the Ice Maker*.
- *Remove the plugs and allow the water to completely drain*.
- *Once the water stops flowing, re-insert the drain plugs*.
- Add five cups of fresh water to the water reservoir and touch the button. The light ring is divided into four sections to indicate each stage. Successive quarters of the ring will become brighter with each rinse cycle.
- Rinse three times with fresh water. Repeat steps 8 through 14 two more times, adding fresh water to the reservoir each time. (You may continue to repeat the rinse cycle for as many times as you like).
- Replace the drain tubes on the back.
- When complete, slide the rear switch back to the "Ice" mode.
Removing Mineral Deposits (Descaling):Descaling should be performed every 2-3 weeks, depending on the hardness of water used (see chart and map below) and your frequency of making ice.
Water Hardness Grains per Gallon (gpg)
|Recommended Descaling Frequency|
|0-4||Every 2-4 Months|
|4-7||Every 1-2 Months|
|7-10||Every 3-4 Weeks|
|>10||Every 2-3 Weeks|
- Fill the reservoir with vinegar to the max fill line and run up to three cleaning cycles.
- Or, purchase an Opal Cleaning Kit and follow the instructions inside. For more information, visit: Opal Ice Maker - Filter, Parts & Accessories
- If using vinegar, leave the vinegar in the unit for 18 hours and set a vinegar-soaked towel on the ice chute overnight to further dissolve any mineral build-up.
- Clean the sensors with vinegar and wipe clean with water. After draining the vinegar, run three rinse cycles using fresh water for each rinse.